Thursday, March 22, 2012

changing the compatibility level

Hi

I am migrating from sql server 2000 to sql server 2005.

When i do back up and Restore of the databases the compatibility level remains 80 (2000).

my concern is

1) should i change the compatibility level to 90 (2005)

2) Am i missing out any thing if i dont change the compatibility level

3) What are the issues that can come up if changed to 90 (2005)

Please reply .I am in a fix

Thanks in advance

If you still have the original SQL 2000 server/database, don't kill it yet

Run the SQL 2005 Upgrade Advisor on it and it'll give you a list of "errors", and "warnings" if you upgrade to 2005 (Errors are must-fix)

You can decide for yourself if # of errors is huge enough to keep the new DB in 80 mode; if not I suggest 90 mode (we did that, don't require restart either)

But honestly, I can only believe MS' words on that SQL2005 IS BETTER, as I don't have any benchmark comparison

Top 30 features of SQL 2005

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/top30features.mspx

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment