Thursday, March 22, 2012

changing TCP/IP port breaks "local" connection

Hi All:
I wanted to change the TCP/IP port a default instance of SQL was
running on (from 1433 to something random like 49576) on Win2K AS
(sp4+). SQL's got TCP/IP and NamedPipes libraries active. I believe
MDAC 2.8 is installed.
The server has a base IP of 192.168.1.190 and a website running on
192.168.1.191. The website uses a SQL0LEDB.1 connection to the
database using "local" for the server name.
This all runs fine when the SQL server's on 1433, but if I change it
to another port, it breaks the connection from the website to the SQL
server. Restarting services doesn't help, even rebooting doesn't
restore the connection. If I switch the SQL Server back to 1433 it
runs fine.
I tested the same thing on a server running Win2003, and the website
didn't have a problem connecting to the SQL server when I changed the
TCP/IP port.
Any ideas why this breaks on Win2K?
TIAcheck 1434
and
delete
HKLM\software\microsoft\mssqlserver\client\supersocketnetlib\lastconnect key
<sql server name or ip>
"vze78se7@.verizon.net" wrote:
> Hi All:
> I wanted to change the TCP/IP port a default instance of SQL was
> running on (from 1433 to something random like 49576) on Win2K AS
> (sp4+). SQL's got TCP/IP and NamedPipes libraries active. I believe
> MDAC 2.8 is installed.
> The server has a base IP of 192.168.1.190 and a website running on
> 192.168.1.191. The website uses a SQL0LEDB.1 connection to the
> database using "local" for the server name.
> This all runs fine when the SQL server's on 1433, but if I change it
> to another port, it breaks the connection from the website to the SQL
> server. Restarting services doesn't help, even rebooting doesn't
> restore the connection. If I switch the SQL Server back to 1433 it
> runs fine.
> I tested the same thing on a server running Win2003, and the website
> didn't have a problem connecting to the SQL server when I changed the
> TCP/IP port.
> Any ideas why this breaks on Win2K?
> TIA
>|||On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:05:04 -0800, "Aleksandar Grbic"
<AleksandarGrbic@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>check 1434
Thanks, Alexsandar. What do you mean by "check 1434"? I have TCP/UDP
1434 disabled because I don't want to broadcast or receive on the
"slammer" port.
>and
>delete
>HKLM\software\microsoft\mssqlserver\client\supersocketnetlib\lastconnect key
><sql server name or ip>
I will try that, thanks.
>"vze78se7@.verizon.net" wrote:
>> Hi All:
>> I wanted to change the TCP/IP port a default instance of SQL was
>> running on (from 1433 to something random like 49576) on Win2K AS
>> (sp4+). SQL's got TCP/IP and NamedPipes libraries active. I believe
>> MDAC 2.8 is installed.
>> The server has a base IP of 192.168.1.190 and a website running on
>> 192.168.1.191. The website uses a SQL0LEDB.1 connection to the
>> database using "local" for the server name.
>> This all runs fine when the SQL server's on 1433, but if I change it
>> to another port, it breaks the connection from the website to the SQL
>> server. Restarting services doesn't help, even rebooting doesn't
>> restore the connection. If I switch the SQL Server back to 1433 it
>> runs fine.
>> I tested the same thing on a server running Win2003, and the website
>> didn't have a problem connecting to the SQL server when I changed the
>> TCP/IP port.
>> Any ideas why this breaks on Win2K?
>> TIA|||>check 1434
>and
>delete
>HKLM\software\microsoft\mssqlserver\client\supersocketnetlib\lastconnect key
><sql server name or ip>
>
One other question...Can I avoid this problem by using Named Pipes?
I will only ever be connecting to the local machine from this
website. I thought using "(local)" for the server bypassed TCP/IP
altogether?
Or does this problem have nothing to do with TCP/IP?|||configure alias in client network utility on client
make alias for sql server in alias tab, write sql server alias, sql name and
tcp/ip port
or
make alias with named pipe
"vze78se7@.verizon.net" wrote:
> >check 1434
> >and
> >delete
> >HKLM\software\microsoft\mssqlserver\client\supersocketnetlib\lastconnect key
> ><sql server name or ip>
> >
> One other question...Can I avoid this problem by using Named Pipes?
> I will only ever be connecting to the local machine from this
> website. I thought using "(local)" for the server bypassed TCP/IP
> altogether?
> Or does this problem have nothing to do with TCP/IP?
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment