Sunday, March 25, 2012

Changing the Domain of a SQL 2005 Cluster

I know it's not possible, I've read the KBs. But I don't understand why not - from my testing, it looks like the only things that break are the domain groups to which the service logins are added. The service logins can be changed, as can the IPs, and SQL starts up just fine. The only problem is the domain groups.

I saw this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910708

which says this:

After you install a SQL Server 2005 failover cluster, you can change the service accounts, but you cannot change the domain groups. If you want to use different domain groups, you must uninstall and then reinstall SQL Server 2005.

But it doesn't elaborate, it just says that the groups cannot be changed. Why not? That seems silly to me - it's not just a line in a config file somewhere? Can someone please give me a good reason why the groups cannot be changed?

Never mind. Found it, hacked it, blogged it.

Hope this helps someone else who's trying to do the same thing.

http://dbaiq.blogspot.com/2006/07/changing-domain-for-sql-2005-cluster.html

|||

Hi,

I really need your knowledge but none of the links you have posted above works. Can you please advise me how to change the domain of a SQL 2005 cluster?

Thank you very much for your help.

No comments:

Post a Comment