Thursday, March 29, 2012

changing the sync_type option of a subscription

If I create a subscription with a sync_type set to 'replication support only' is it possible to change that option to 'automatic' down the road without destroying and recreating the
subscription?

-mike

You can look into the following articles on changing the subscription property.

How to: View and Modify Push Subscription Properties (SQL Server Management Studio)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151741.aspx

How to: View and Modify Push Subscription Properties (Replication Transact-SQL Programming)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms147323.aspx

However, I don't see @.sync_type as one of the property you can change.

Do you mind I ask why you want to change from "automatic" to "replication support only" later? What is your scenario?

Gary

|||Automatic appears (and I need to do more reading on this) to give you a bit more flexability when adding items to a publication. For example, I have a publication and subscription (w/ sync_type = automatic) up and running and now I want to add another object to that publication. Once I've added the object all I need to do is regenerate the snapshot and that object is replicated to the subscriber.

So, that being said, I have a very large database that takes around four hours to deliver the initial snapshot. Due to the size and time of delivering that snapshot, it makes sense to create a publication with a subscription set to 'replication support only'. But down the road I may want to add objects to that publication and don't want to have to destroy and recreate the subscription and have to deliver the snapshot.|||

I guess no ..i have the same scenario still lurking and i am sure we have to drop and re-create the subscription to chnage the setting.

Script out replication run the script for subscription you want to change @.sync_type or u may use wizard to create the article and subscription for the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment