Sunday, March 25, 2012

Changing the Double Click Default in Object Explorer

Is there a way so that when I click on a stored proc it would default to the
modify option? Or when I double click on a table it would just open a query
window and show all records?
It would be great to be able to override the current default nature, for I
rarely need to see the params of an sp, but I do need to quickly edit an sp.
Keep the + for property info, but give me editablility!
Sorry for the tirade, lots of features, but I wonder how many developers
they asked for feed back on workflow when they designed the interface.
The standard behavior for Double clicking in a treeview when there are sub
nodes is to expand the node. What you are asking can be done by simply
right clicking and choosing the appropriate option. For instance with
stored procedures you can right click and choose Modify to open a window
with the sp code ready for editing. For a table you can right click then
choose Open to see all the rows. Either way it is two clicks of the mouse
so I really don't see where it is worth complaining about. It's really worth
everyone's while to spends a few moments exploring all the features that
SSMS has to offer. I agree that some things may not be intuitive or even
ideal but it has a lot of functionality if you give it the chance.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"Adam" <Adam@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8505D340-5A31-4878-9F2E-6A3D03D29B0C@.microsoft.com...
> Is there a way so that when I click on a stored proc it would default to
> the
> modify option? Or when I double click on a table it would just open a
> query
> window and show all records?
> It would be great to be able to override the current default nature, for I
> rarely need to see the params of an sp, but I do need to quickly edit an
> sp.
> Keep the + for property info, but give me editablility!
> Sorry for the tirade, lots of features, but I wonder how many developers
> they asked for feed back on workflow when they designed the interface.
>
|||Not to get really into a back and forth, but when I double click in any type
of explorer...what I am doing is executing or actioning an item. I would
think that the parameters is only part of an sp...if I click on a folder in
Explorer, do I want to see part of the folder (parameters) or all the
contents (complete script) of a folder?
Just thoughts and yes I am more than willing to try something new.
"Andrew J. Kelly" wrote:

> The standard behavior for Double clicking in a treeview when there are sub
> nodes is to expand the node. What you are asking can be done by simply
> right clicking and choosing the appropriate option. For instance with
> stored procedures you can right click and choose Modify to open a window
> with the sp code ready for editing. For a table you can right click then
> choose Open to see all the rows. Either way it is two clicks of the mouse
> so I really don't see where it is worth complaining about. It's really worth
> everyone's while to spends a few moments exploring all the features that
> SSMS has to offer. I agree that some things may not be intuitive or even
> ideal but it has a lot of functionality if you give it the chance.
> --
> Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
>
> "Adam" <Adam@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8505D340-5A31-4878-9F2E-6A3D03D29B0C@.microsoft.com...
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment